Older Age Health

Social Care Support

Care and support is available to help adults who may have an illness or disability to carry on living as independently as possible.

Contact West Sussex County Council to find out about what care you can receive.

Telephone: 01243 642121

Information for carers

If you care for someone who could not cope without your support because of illness, frailty, disability, a mental health problem or an addiction, whether that's a family member, partner or friend, then you are a carer.

If that's you, please let us know. As a carer, you are entitled to specific support, such as health check-ups and free flu vaccines, so we want to make sure we can support you.

You can find out more about support for carers on our Carers Support page.

Age UK

Age UK

Age UK is the country’s largest charity dedicated to helping everyone make the most of later life. They believe in a world where everyone can love later life and they work every day to achieve this.

You can call the West Sussex line on 01903 731800.

A woman with grey hair and glasses is speaking on the phone. She is smiling.

Check In and Chat

Fancy a chat? NHS Volunteer Responders are here to offer you or someone you know a friendly phone call and a listening ear through their newly launched Check In and Chat service. Whether it’s just a one-off conversation, or regular chats, you can use this service by calling 0808 196 3646.

A young woman with a lanyard and hi-vis jacket shows an elderly man a menu. He is smiling and pointing to an item on the menu.

Meals on Wheels

Hot, tasty meals on wheels provided at lunchtime by Health & Independent Living Support.

Concerned about falls?

Crawley Wellbeing


Have you felt unsteady on your feet? Have you noticed a change in your confidence when moving about? Crawley Wellbeing is here to help you improve your strenth and balance, and support you to renew your stability and confidence. They offer courses to suit various abilities, led by specialist instructors. For more information, please contact wellbeing@crawley.gov.uk or call 01293 585317.



The NHS has advice on how to prevent falls, what causes falls, and what to do if you have a fall.

Dementia Support

West Sussex Connect to Support

West Sussex County Council have pulled together a list of places to get support, as well as advice on living well with dementia.

Dementia UK

Dementia UK

Looking for information or advice about dementia or Alzheimer’s? You can call the Dementia UK helpline for free on 0800 888 6678 for support from dementia specialist Admiral Nurses. The Helpline is open from 9am to 9pm Monday to Friday and 9am to 5pm on Saturday to Sunday.

Living Well with Dementia in the South Asian Community

We used to think that losing your memory was a normal part of getting older. We know now that it is a disease, and it is possible to get help. This video from the Alzheimer's Society is for people in the South Asian Community, talking about the support you can receive with dementia.

The Herbert Protocol

There is nothing more distressing than a loved one going missing and for people caring for someone with dementia this can become a regular occurrence.

The Herbert Protocol is a national scheme adopted by several police forces. The initiative is named after George Herbert, a Second World War veteran, who lived with dementia and repeatedly went missing from his care home.

It encourages carers or next of kin to compile and keep useful information which could be used in the event of a vulnerable person going missing. It asks for vital information about the vulnerable person, including regular routines, favourite places to visit, and details about their physical health and current medical conditions.

Planning Ahead

Power of Attorney

Even if you don't think it will be useful yet, it's a good idea to get a Power of Attorney sorted as early as you can. Power of Attorney lets you appoint one or more people to help you make decisions, or make decisions on your behalf. It only becomes active at the point where you can no longer decide for yourself.

You can choose whether you want a Power of Attorney for health and welfare, for property and financial affairs, or for both.

It costs £82 to register a Power of Attorney unless you get a reduction or exemption.

You can find out more on gov.uk.

Your Care Matters

Make sure your friends and family know what you would want to happen if you need more care in the future, or if you needed to go into hospital.

You can create a "MyCareMatters" profile which tells hospital staff and other healthcare professionals about the things you want them to know about you as a person.

It's of particular value to people with communication challenges, such as those living with dementia, but there may come a time in any of our lives that we are admitted to hospital, for a planned visit or in an emergency and may, temporarily or otherwise, be unable to communicate. MyCareMatters provides the opportunity to tell hospital staff that you drink your tea black, that you have a fear of needles and like to wear socks in bed because of your poor circulation.

Fore more information, and to create a profile, visit the MyCareMatters website.